Northwestern, now known as the town of Brooktrails near Willits – Blog #4

Brooktrails is the modern name for a place known as Northwestern at the beginning of the 20th century. Northwestern in its heyday was an important place. It was a designated stop on the Northwestern Pacific (NWP) railroad, had a post office and the only hospital in northern Mendocino County. It also had a lumber mill – the Diamond D. Our web site page on the history of Northwestern was mostly supplied by club member Mike Aplet who lives there.

Mike recently forwarded a map of the NWP’s route from Willits to Sherwood and beyond:

Map of NWP Sherwood Extension and part of the Sherwood branch

Map of NWP Sherwood Extension and part of the Sherwood branch

In addition to the map Mike sent along a few new/old pics:

Choppers and Peelers of the Diamond D Mill

Choppers and Peelers of the Diamond D Mill

Diamond D Mill circa 1905

Diamond D Mill circa 1905

The Sherwood Branch close to the Mill Pond

The Sherwood Branch close to the Mill Pond

Willits Mercantile and Sherwwod Train Station circa 1900

Willits Mercantile and Sherw0od Train Station circa 1900

If you want to check out the previous blogs on Brootrails click on these links:

Northwestern, now known as the town of Brooktrails near Willits (blog 3)

Northwestern, now known as the town of Brooktrails near Willits (blog 2)

Diamond D Mill at Northwestern, now known as the town of Brooktrails near Willits in Northern California (blog 1)