Douglas, Wyoming isn’t a very big place – 6,120 people at the 2010 census. Its former railroad passenger depot is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Douglas was platted in 1886 when the Wyoming Central Railway (later the Chicago and North Western Transportation Company) established a railway station; the settlement had been in existence since 1867 when Fort Fetterman was built and was first known as “Tent City” before it was officially named “Douglas”, after Senator Stephen A. Douglas. It served as a supply point, warehousing and retail, for surrounding cattle ranches, as well as servicing railway crews, cowboys and the troops of the U.S. Army stationed at Fort Fetterman.
None of the above tells you why Club Member Dan Fessler went to visit Douglas – he went to the Railroad Museum there. The Douglas Railroad Museum is housed in the historic FE & MV Railroad Passenger Depot. The historic depot was updated in 2018 and today features exhibits highlighting Douglas and the region’s railroad history. The building is listed on the National Historic Register and is surrounded by seven historic railcars including the Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railroad 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive #5633. The steam loco was built in Burlinghton, Iowa in September 1940. She remained in service until 1956.
Visitors are invited to climb aboard many of the rail cars including a day coach, a dining car and a new caboose exhibit. Here’s a gallery of the pics he took on his visit:
Next up is the sleeping car:
The Dining Car:
And last but not lease the Passenger Coach: